God says to open our mouths wide so he can fill us; and most of us are so puckered that he has to squeeze some blessings though an I.V.
May I suggest a few abiding principles about God’s method of blessing?
- If you want to be really technical, there is only one person in history that God has blessed directly: Jesus Christ. He is the blessed Son of God. Jesus prays according to this pattern in: ““And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:” John 17:22, NKJV.
- Every believer has been placed into permanent Union with Christ. We are one with Christ, or as Paul likes to say, “in Christ.” “But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.” 1 Corinthians 6:17, NKJV.
- Because you are in union with Christ, you share the blessings of Christ. They were his first, and now they’re yours. Every blessing in the Bible is yours. In this sense, Jesus is the Great Equalizer; every child of God partakes of his full inheritance in equal shares. We are joint-heirs with Christ. “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us [past tense–already done] with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,” Ephesians 1:3, NKJV.
- We could say that the Christian’s blessings are “front end loaded.” You receive title and deed to ALL of them, at the moment of salvation. Picture it as a massive pile of Christmas presents. There is a gift of grace perfectly suited for every single moment of your life. Every trial, adversity, perplexity, and loss. That gift is pre-prepared for you. “as His divine power has given [past tense again] to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue,” 2 Peter 1:3, NKJV.
- That means that our task is NOT to OBTAIN a blessing, but to EXPERIENCE it. It is to [experientially] KNOW our riches: “the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,” Ephesians 1:18, NKJV..How?
- Let’s save that for the next blog… thanks for stopping by.